What is Georgia TANF?
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families GA also known as the TANF program is a federal government-funded assistance scheme to help Georgia citizens financially. It was launched to provide financial assistance to all needy Georgia families and help them to achieve self-sufficiency.
TANF Georgia has a time limit and income limit as per the family size where all eligible families will get the necessary financial assistance support over a limited period of time. Georgia states get grants from the Federal government to support their citizens who fulfill the required TANF eligibility criteria.
The step-by-step procedure to submit an online TANF application through the Gateway gov login portal is available below in this article.
WHO will receive the benefits:
TANF program helps poor citizens who are not financially capable of managing their daily lives. All Georgia Families who are fulfilling the GA TANF Eligibility Requirements families will receive monthly cash assistance from the Georgia government. Families with children under age 18, children age 18 and attending school full-time, and pregnant women will receive government support.
Georgia Department of Human Services and Division of Child Support Services are involved in successfully managing the TANF program. The financial assistance is given through EBT transfer in the Way2Go card account (previously EPPICard) which is managed by Conduent Inc.
Check out all the important information about the TANF program in Georgia state. What are the eligibility criteria to apply, and what is the total benefit amount families will receive?
- TANF Application can be submitted online on the gateway.ga.gov portal or citizens can fill out Form 297 – Application for Benefit and submit it to the local DFCS office by Mail or in person.
- Monthly cash assistance is given to low-income families through electronic benefit transfer (EBT) to the Way2Go card.
- TANF and other benefits such as SNAP, Medicaid, etc can be renewed by filling out Form 508 offline or by submitting a renewal application on Gateway.ga.gov.
- Assistance is provided for a maximum of forty-eight months, except as noted in the hardship sections of this plan.
- TANF services are available in all 159 counties through the Division of Family and Children Services offices
TANF GA Income, Time, and Cash Amount Limit
TANF program has a different limit in different states in terms of duration, and maximum cash amount limit. The limits for the Georgia state are mentioned below.
TANF Duration Limit:
Georgia State has applied a 48-month lifetime limit on the TANF cash assistance. Even if a family moves to Georgia from another state will still get the TANF benefit for a maximum of 48 months. It can be extended in a few conditions such as violence or harassment, including domestic violence and physical or mental incapacity, etc.
TANF Income Limit:
Each family must fulfill the maximum income criteria. The TANF income limit is given below.
|Number of members in a Family||Maximum Income Limit||TANF160%FPL GRG Maximum Income Limit|
|Each additional member||+$44||+$629|
How much TANF Cash Amount does a Family receive in Georgia?
There is a maximum cap on the amount each family receives as per the number of family members. Please have a look below.
Georgia’s TANF benefits by family size 2023:
|AU Size||Gross Income Ceiling||Standard of Need||Family Maximum||TANF160%FPL GRG Income Limits|
|Each additional member||+$44||+$24||+$17||+$629|
As per the above table, a family of 4 members will receive a maximum of $330 cash benefits subject to a Family’s Gross Income Ceiling of $925.
- TANF for a Family of 1 member will be $155 in Georgia.
- TANF for a Family of 2 members will be $$235 in Georgia.
- TANF for a Family of 3 members will be $280 in Georgia.
- TANF for a Family of 4 members will be $330 in Georgia.
Each additional member will allow families to get an additional $17 cash assistance.
As per Section 103 of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) of 1996, the Federal government provides grants to state agencies to provide cash assistance to families in the state.
The main objectives of the implementation of the TANF program are mentioned below.
- The main focus was to provide better care to children in a family in their own homes.
- To provide job opportunities and training so that their dependency on the TANF program can be reduced.
- Prevent and reduce the incidence of out-of-wedlock pregnancies.
- Another main focus area was the formation and maintenance of two-parent families.
Georgia TANF Eligibility Requirements
All applicants must visit of United States or be legally qualified aliens. Applicant must be from a low or very low-income family. Applicant must also be one of the following:
- Have a child 18 years of age or younger, or
- Be pregnant, or
- Be 18 years of age or younger and the head of your household.
Now in order to fulfill all the eligibility requirements, all members in a family unit must full filly below given criteria.
Age: A child must be less than 18 years of age (19 years if s/he is a full-time student).
Application for other benefits: flying for the TANF, you can also apply for other benefits such as Unemployment Compensation, Workman’s Compensation, Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI), Child Support, etc.
Citizenship: A recipient must be a citizen of the U.S. or a lawful resident alien.
Enumeration: all members in a family must have a social security number or they must apply for a social security number if they don’t have one.
School Attendance: children’s attendance in the school must be satisfactory if the age of the children is 6 years to 17 years and the children have not yet graduated from my school.
Immunization: children’s vaccination must be completed.
Income limit: all families who want to apply for temporary assistance for needy families must fulfill all the financial requirements. Income limits are given below in a table in this article.
Work Requirement: all adult recipients in a family must be involved in work and training activities for at least 30 hours weekly to get the required experience to find a job and become self-sufficient.
How to Apply for GA TANF and Submit Online Application?
There are different ways to submit the TANF application. If you have already checked the required eligibility criteria and if you think that you are eligible to apply then you can submit your application in any of the following ways.
- Apply online on the Georgia Gateway portal.
- Apply offline
- Over the phone
If you want to apply offline then you will have to submit your application after visiting the local Georgia DFCS office directly. First, you will have to download the GA TANF application form. Please click the below link to download the TANF Form 297.
After that, take a printout of this form and fill in all the required information. You will have to provide your basic personal information and financial information. After that, visit any nearest GA GFCS office and submit your application and required documents to the concerned officer.
To find out your rights and responsibilities, you may check the below document.
If you do not have a Georgia Voter Card then you can apply through Georgia’s Voter Registration link.
Forms in other languages are also available. If someone does not speak English then download the forms in your language.
Citizens can also apply online through the Georgia Gateway portal. The steps are very simple, please have a look.
- Visit the official website at https://gateway.ga.gov.
- Now login to your account by entering your login credentials.
- If you don’t have an account then you have to create a new Georgia Gateway account.
- After login, click the “Apply for Benefits” link.
- Select the TANF application, the online application form will appear on the screen.
- Fill out this application form by providing all required information.
- You will have to upload all required documents also.
- In the last step, verify that all the details entered are correct.
- Finally, submit your application for the verification process.
Please note that you can submit your application from Monday to Friday 5:00 a.m. to midnight.
Citizens can also apply through the phone by calling the Customer Contact Center at 1-877-423-4746. Please note that while applying through phone you will have to submit the required documents either through mail or by visiting the Georgia dfcs office personally.
Important information that you must check on your application form is mentioned below.
- The name of the head of household
- Signature of the head of household or another household member
The above four types of information must be received by DFCS.
TANF Benefit Renewal
TANF eligibility is renewed periodically by the Georgia government. You will have to renew your benefits in order to get continued financial support and determine your eligibility for the TANF program.
You can log in to your Georgia Gateway account and submit your renewal application. Citizens can also fill out Form 508 for the FOOD STAMP/MEDICAID/TANF Renewal. Please download the Form 508 through the below link.
We have also shared a complete step-by-step process to submit the Gateway GA Gov Benefit Renewal application.
What type of Assistance is Given to Families?
The main objective of the Georgia government is to provide all types of helpful resources and assistance to make them self-reliant. In order to help citizens, the government provides the below type of assistance to Georgia citizens.
- Assisting citizens by providing necessary training, job search assistance, and placement services.
- Different types of support such as transportation, childcare, community help, and financial help for the necessary expenditures.
- Cash benefits through the electronic benefit transfer service through a debit card.
- Any available support that is required to maintain two-parent families.
- Any type of support that is required to prevent teen and out-of-wedlock pregnancies.
Georgia government also offers the Pre- Kindergarten and HOPE Scholarship programs to all children who are eligible to receive TANF benefits.
Georgia citizens can call the customer service phone number at 1-877-423-4746. Customer service is always there to resolve the TANF program-related issues such as account access, online application, etc.
Citizens can also speak to their caseworker directly.